By Jane Knowles Lindsey
Have you heard the news?
The California Genealogical Society was asked to be the Local Host Society for the 2022 National Genealogical Society Family History Conference, to be held in Sacramento, May 24-28. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, this will be the first LIVE conference in three years. We are hoping you are as excited as we are to be a part of this!
The conference brochure can be downloaded here.
Many of you know the National Genealogical Society, which was organized in Washington D.C. in 1903. It has become a “go to” place for genealogical research and standards. There are countless free areas on its website including the blog, class options and more. It has outstanding periodicals, such as the NGS Quarterly and the NGS Magazine.
The first annual NGS national conference was held in Washington D.C. in the early 1900s. Over time, the annual conference has been held in locations around the country, providing quality classes and opportunities for fellow genealogists to meet.
Our own longtime CGS member Kathryn Doyle is the current President of NGS and Matthew Berry, our CGS treasurer, was asked to be the 2022 National Conference Chair. I have the honor of being asked to chair the Local Host Society Committee.
Not only is it an honor for CGS to be the Local Host Society for the 2022 NGS Family History Conference, it is also an opportunity for CGS (founded in 1898) to be nationally recognized in the genealogical community. In addition, the Conference provides CGS with an opportunity to raise funds for our all-volunteer society.
What is our role as the Local Host Society?
- Promote the Conference in the Western states to assure its success. (Tell your friends and other genealogical societies!)
- Provide volunteers (more than 700 slots) to staff the conference.
- Plan tours and social events for the enjoyment of conference attendees.
This is where you, our members and friends, come in. Here are some ideas how you can help:
- Attend the conference – and encourage your friends to sign up, too! CGS will receive a portion of the sales for every conference registration.
- Attend our fun Sacramento area tours and evening events!
- Plan to help us by volunteering at the conference! (Volunteers are needed beginning Monday, May 23rd.)
- Take advantage of social media – post Conference information for your fellow genealogy friends and family members.Questions? Need more information? Send an email to: [email protected]. And, watch this blog for updates on the 2022 Conference as we get closer to May 2022!