What’s In The Library
Books and periodicals – Whether you have ancestors from the South, Mid-Atlantic, New England, Midwest, the West or California, you will find books, periodicals and resources to support your genealogy research. We also have holdings on Canada, the United Kingdom and other countries.
City directories – CGS has a variety of city directories with an emphasis on directories of the San Francisco Bay Area.
6 Patron Computers, a book scanner, a microform scanner, and a large format scanner/printer/copier for patron use.
Gigabit Internet access and subscription websites – Bring your laptop or use one of our computers.
The CGS Library is a FamilySearch Affiliate Library so when you access FamilySearch from our network, whether using you own computer or one of ours, you’ll have access to many of the restricted image collections—those marked with in the FamilySearch catalog—that you can’t view at home.
CGS has library subscriptions to the following, accessible from any computer on our network while in the library, including your own using our WiFi network. Note: Use of our computers and access to subscription websites is free to Members. Non-Members must pay a daily use fee.
- Ancestry.com Library Edition
- Americanancestors.org (New England Historic Genealogical Society)
- HistoryGeo Bureau of Land Management Maps
Our computers also have handy links to:
- California Genealogy Links
- Digital Public Library of America
- Chronicling America (LoC Historical Newspapers)
- Library of Congress Catalog
- HathiTrust Digital Library
- FamilySearch Digital Library
- Internet Archive Books
- S.F. Genealogy
- Old Fulton Postcards (Historical Newspapers)
- Wikipedia’s Historical Newspaper Directory